First team coach vacancy
First Team Men’s Coach
Leeds University Union Men’s Rugby League has a proud and notable history. In 1967, the rugby league club became the first officially recognised in any UK university, with teams being fielded every year since its formation. The current first team competes within the Northern Premier Division (the highest division), against Leeds Beckett and Northumbria universities. The 2017/18 and 2018/19 seasons saw the first team finish 4th in the league and reach the national BUCs cup quarter final. In the 2016/17 season, the First team won the varsity fixture against a Yorkshire select team. The club also operates a Second team who compete in the Northern 2B division.
The coach is responsible for the planning, preparation and delivery of rugby league sessions to the members of the first team squad attending Leeds University, as well as liaising with the Second team coach. Player experience varies between the squad from complete novices of the game to semi-professional players, therefore activities delivered should be able to develop and engage a range of skill levels. Ultimately, we expect candidates to progress the first team so that they are competing with the elite teams of the Northern Premier Division.
- A certificate for the level 2 coaching of rugby league (essential)
- Experience of working with 18+ year olds in a sports coaching and activity setting (desirable)
- Experience of working with athletes of varying skill levels (desirable)
- A passion for rugby league and player development (essential)
- Leadership and organizational skills (essential)
- Availability & commitment (essential)
Hours and Rate of Pay
- We are looking for an individual who is available on Monday evenings (training) between 18.00 – 20.00 and Wednesdays (match days – times may vary on a Wednesday from 10am onward if away or between 13.00-17.00 if at home). Note the season is split – running between September-Early December, then between February and May.
- Competitive Hourly Rate.
- Training takes place at Bus Vale Rugby Ground, Meanwood road, Leeds, LS6 2BJ.
- Games will take place on Wednesday afternoons, with the home games taking place at Sports Park Weetwood, Ring Rd Weetwood, Leeds, LS16 5AU.
For further information please contact either the club captain or the chairman. If interested in the job role, please send a copy of your CV to them:
- Ben Stevens (LUURL Men’s Club Captain)
- Jeremy Shires (LUURL Club Chairman)
PLEASE NOTE APPLICATIONS CLOSE ON 21st JULY.